The games are quite different from the often-compared Goku series; they use a "behind-the-back" third-person camera perspective. Also different from the Saiyan Battle series each form is treated as its own character, with varying stats, movesets and fighting styles
In battle, players can build up their Ki gauge to execute various techniques such as the Power Guard, which reduces the damage characters take by 1/4. The Ki gauge can also be used to use moves referred to as Blast 2 skills. Every character has a unique set of Blast 2 skills that allow the character to use special moves such as Ki blasts and physical attacks.
The story mode of the series progresses similarly to the story modes in previous games. Players can select battles from different sagas and proceed through the story
- Over 70 deeply customizable characters.
- 10 different stages.
- Character customization.
- Incredibly deep combo system.
- 1 vs 1, 1 vs 2, 2 vs 1 & 2 vs 2 battles.
- High-Impact battles.
- Consists of Blow Exchange and Shot Exchange.
- In-game transformations.
- Three Super Blast moves or combat moves for all characters.
The game has a total of 31 playable characters including fusions of different fighters, and Majin Buu's various forms. The Japanese version of the game added several new costumes, as well as a new stage in the game's story mode. Some of the added costumes were added to the North American release of the GameCube version.
- Health: The amount of health you wish to begin the fight with, which you can also set for the CPU (they do not have to be the same). There are 7 bars of health, each a different color.
- Starting Ki: How much energy you want to begin the battle with. You can give yourself an advantage by setting the CPU's Ki energy to low. There are 7 bars of Ki.
-Check Energy: The amount of Ki needed to teleport behind the enemy to dodge his/her attack. For example, the original ki consumption for teleporting is 3 ki bars. The higher you make it, the more ki it consumes. The lower, the less ki it takes.
This is a mode where you pick your character, and fight non-stop enemies, until you lose. After a certain amount of wins, your health will not regenerate fully.